It seems the overuse of man-made synthetic antibiotics has opened the door for the current “super bacteria” problem facing our culture. What has happened is the bacteria have evolved to become resistant to these man-made antibiotics. The industries answer to nature adapting to our synthetic antibiotics? Is always to make more man-made synthetic antibiotics to attack the “super bacteria” (or just normal weaker bacteria). These newer synthetic antibiotics always seem more dangerous than their predecessor. This is madness. These greedy people will never learn that they aren’t smarter than nature. Nature will simply end up adapting, with the bacteria evolving into “super-duper bacteria” (or some other variation). This will undoubtingly force Big Pharma to make even more dangerous antibiotics to kill the “super-duper bacteria” that their newer “improved” antibiotics created.
Einstein has a quote that comes to mind every time I see something like this. “We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them”. It is time to change our thinking!
Luckily for us, Nature and it’s Creator, have provided many natural antibiotics that only attack the harmful bacteria while avoiding the beneficial bacteria in the gut. Some are even are effective at killing the “super bacteria”.
Here is my list of cheap, effective and easy to find natural antibiotics for every home.
1. Coconut oil – This amazing oil was featured in one of my first articles because of its truly amazing health benefits. Coconut oil has a tremendous ability to kill a wide range of microbes, including bacteria. It does so without harming the helpful bacteria in the gut. For these reasons Coconut oil is my definite #1 for this list.
2. Garlic – The use of garlic as a natural antibiotic is not a new practice. In fact, there are many reports of it being used to fight off the plague in the middle ages! Garlic gets most of its amazing antibiotic properties from one single compound — Allcin. This powerful compound has a high level of antioxidants, which is what gives it its bacteria (and other microbes) fighting power.
You need to activate Allcin inside of the garlic. To do this you take a fresh organic garlic clove and either finely chop it or crush it. Once you activate the Allcin you will need to consume it within 30 min because the compound degrades very quickly.
One unique experience I had with using garlic as a natural antibiotic happened when I first started refusing allopathic medicine for a more homeopathic route. When my upper right wisdom tooth came in it was severely decayed to the point that there was a massive hole in it. This eventually caused me to have to make an emergency visit to the dentist because it became so infected that I was not able to open my mouth more than about a quarter-inch. The dentist gave me a prescription for a synthetic antibiotic and told me the infection was very bad and almost spread systemically.
She said I needed to take the antibiotics multiple time a day. When I asked how long she thought it would take before the antibiotics would clear the infection, she told me she thought it would be 5-7 days. I decided to try crushed fresh garlic instead. My wisdom tooth was pulled late Friday. When I woke Saturday I could almost fully open my mouth and by Sunday night the infection was gone completely.
Since then, I have made sure to add as much crushed fresh organic garlic to my diet as possible.
3) Raw Honey – People have used honey as a natural antibiotic since the days of Hippocrates. Professor Molan, of the Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato (in New Zealand) has this to say about all honey: “In all honeys, there is – to different levels – hydrogen peroxide produced from an enzyme that bees add to the nectar.” The biochemist adds that one honey stands out above the rest — Manuka honey from his native New Zealand (and its close cousin from Australia called Jellybush).
He admits that he has yet to pin point what compound in these honeys make them much more powerful. Nevertheless, the honey is very powerful. He has this to say about the amazing antibiotic powers of these honeys:
“Staphylococcus aureas is the most common wound-infecting species of bacteria, and that’s the most sensitive to honey that we’ve found.
“And that includes the antibiotic resistant strains – the MRSA – which is just as sensitive to honey as any other staphylococcus aureas.”
These two types of honey may pack extra bang for your buck but the hydrogen peroxide inside all honey still make them very effective at cleaning out and killing bacteria in cuts and burns.
4) Apple Cider Vinegar – There are two major components inside of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) that give it its antibacterial properties– Acetic Acid and Malic Acid. Buying the right kind of ACV is very important. This is not a product that you want to bargain shop for. You want to make sure you purchase ACV that is raw, organic, unpasteurized, unfiltered and containing “Mother”. To me, there is no brand better than Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar.
5) Turmeric – The Turmeric root (from the ginger family) has some truly amazing health benefits aside from being antibacterial. The compound Curcumin is what gives Turmeric most of its health benefits, and this goes for its antibacterial prowess. In fact, the only reason Turmeric is so low down on the list is because it is so hard to find any fresh organic Turmeric root in grocery stores. I have seen many different views on how long the Curcumin in ground spices stays active.
6) Ginger – The organic Ginger root has one huge advantage (in my opinion) over organic Turmeric root. It is easily found fresh in many produce sections. However, there have been far fewer scientific studies conducted into the antibacterial properties of Ginger compared to Turmeric. This does not mean that the Ginger has much less antibacterial properties. It simply means a lot of the evidence, as of today, is more anecdotal. This should not surprise many people. Studies generally get funded because people are looking to make money (i.e. to make patented drug) and there is no money in natural cures that people can plant in their gardens.
7) Oil of Oregano – There are many herbs that are natural antibiotics. However, the best way to utilize their anti bacterial properties is via their extracted oils. My person favorite is Oil of Oregano because it is not only cheap and easy to find but it is a powerful antibiotic.
To fight a specific bacteria, you may need to go outside this list and consult a Holistic Doctor. However, if you are looking for cost effective ways to build your immune system against bacteria you may come into contact with, these 7 easy to find natural antibiotics are a great start. I not only have all these in my house right now, I also consume them regularly. I have not gotten sick in the many years since I started using them frequently.
For those interested in purchasing some of these today, you can find them here: